Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Adventures in Chickens

After several years of promising my youngest darling daughter, "Next year, when we move out to the country," it was time to just do it, so to speak. So, at the end of the chick season last year I told her we would get chicks next year whether we moved or not and guess what? It's next year!

She and I went together to pick out our five (yes, five) baby chickens and bring them home to reside under a heat lamp until the chicken coop is finished. My darling daughter promptly named them: Ruffles, Nuffles, Truffles, Peanut Butter and last but not least, Hopson. (Where do kids come up with funny little names like that, I'd like to know!) 


Our little "chicken mama" with Hopson, her favorite.


Our family dog contemplating "fluffy little snacks".  She wouldn't stop staring at them like this for the entire first week they were here. (You'll have to excuse the mess, this all took place in the middle of prepping for a show and my studio had just flooded.)

Secretly,or maybe not quite so secretly if you ask my dear husband, I have wanted to raise my own chickens for a very long time.  Fresh eggs to go with fresh veggies from the garden? Yes, please.  Fortunately, we happened to have an abandoned playhouse left by the previous owner that is now being converted into our new chicken coop.  My dear husband, ever the planner of all things mechanically inclined around here, laid out plans for the inside of the coop. Only after pouring over information online regarding chickens, nesting boxes, chicken yards, feeders and anything else slightly related that he could find and I'm pretty sure he went through several different ideas before settling on one he was happy with.

A view of the very cute, and soon to be pink, shutters on the side facing the house.

A view of the "people" door and the future chicken yard.

The chicken coop itself is a work in progress, but it's moving quickly and our happy little chickens should be clucking around their own yard in no time. I will be sure to update you on the progress and post pics when it's all done. (I plan to paint it to match the house.)

If any of my dear readers have tips or tricks regarding chickens, I 'd love to hear them!

Blessings,

Janet
 

No comments:

Post a Comment